Monday, January 18, 2010

They used to call me 'Anal Girl' ...

First and foremost, have you seen (500) Days of Summer? Of course you have. Because you're awesome and IT'S AWESOME.

Anyway, Jeff (husband) and I were just e-mailing each other sweet, sexy things like which food in our fridge is about to go bad, and he mentioned craving some stuffed peppers "like you made that one time in college." And I totally got a flashback, and I about died at my desk out of a mix of shame and hilarity, because I had forgotten about that time.

Nowadays, I cook some stuff. I'm not afraid of the kitchen anymore, and when I make dinner it's sometimes a little too mushy/not mushy enough, but I get it right the next time. The only things I'm still afraid of are the grill, chicken with bones, and mangoes.

But this was not always the case.

Jeff and I met when I was 21 (4 years ago) and I pretty much knew right away that he was The One (only don't get me started on ONE ... topic for another time), blah blah. I'd never pretended to be anything I wasn't around him - he knew from the get-go that I am messy, I can eat 2 entire Chipotle burritos at one time, I get very sad that Harry Potter is not real, I rarely finish an entire game of anything when I am losing, I always cry when I'm drunk, I will bring home any stray animal I see, and I sometimes 'sleep' on the couch for no reason than to stay up watching Paranormal State until 3 AM.

But I was always really self-conscious about my lack of cooking skillz. I think it's because when I first got to college and I tried to make French Toast, I called my mom in a panic and told her all I was accomplishing was frying eggs on the bottom of bread, and my family WILL NEVER LET THAT DIE.

Anyway, about 6 months into our relationship, I felt this urge to show him that I could be a good little wifey someday and decided to make him dinner. God knows why I chose STUFFED PEPPERS as my culinary debut instead of just, like, pasta with vodka sauce (noodles, vodka, so easy a monkey could do it - win, win, win) but I did.

I was so scared that I was going to fuck it up that I went to the store while he was at class during the day and made the entire meal. As a practice round. 4 servings of peppers stuffed with carbs and when I deemed them acceptable, I THREW AWAY the entire kit-n-caboodle (Hey! Caboodles! I bet a straight-up old school Caboodle would be awesome for my makeup.) and pretended like it never happened.

And made them all over again 4 hours later. Hahahahaa that's so pathetic. But I just emailed him that story and he said it was surprisingly cute, so I'll go with that.

2 comments:

  1. I need to get the motivation to just start practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once, a boyfriend got a cold and asked for a grilled cheese sammie... and I effed it up. Like bad. And he never let me forget it. We are no longer together.

    I rehearsed my "super sexy pasta with vodka sauce FROM SCRATCH DAMN IT" *twice* before making it for a different guy, and made myself write out the recipe at least a dozen times so I'd have it memorized and it would look effortless and irresistible.

    Now, J and I... we ordered Chinese takeout tonight, and he let me have both fortune cookies. That's how I know he's MY The One. ;)

    ReplyDelete